The vast majority of homeowners prefer freestanding tubs for their brilliant look and the atmosphere they create. A freestanding acrylic bathtub can add a touch of elegance and style to your bathroom turning it into a truly fascinating place. This tub can significantly increase the resale value of your home. With a gorgeous freestanding tub, your property will attract more buyers. As a result, you will be able to sell your home within a short period of time and get the best price possible.
But even if you are not planning to sell your property in the nearest future, replacing your old tub with a sophisticated freestanding tub is a smart investment. However, choosing your ideal freestanding tub can be challenging indeed. There is a huge variety of freestanding tubs available on the market today. Having too many options can be a problem, especially if you are not quite sure what you need.
While choosing a freestanding tub, the material it is made of is the first thing to consider. The most common freestanding tub materials include acrylic, fiberglass, cast iron, copper and stone resin. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages. Durability, affordability and a fabulous look make freestanding acrylic tubs a popular choice. With this tub you can beautify even the simplest bathroom and make this space look luxurious and expensive. We would like to provide you with more useful information on freestanding acrylic tubs to make your choice a quick and easy one. You will find out:
- Pros and Cons of a Freestanding Acrylic Bathtub
- Choosing a Freestanding Bathtub Style
- The Size and Weight of a Freestanding Acrylic Bathtub
- Installing the Tub
- Getting the Best Faucet for Your Tub
- Adding a Shower to a Freestanding Acrylic Tub
- Cleaning and Maintenance
So, let’s get started.
Pros and Cons of a Freestanding Acrylic Bathtub
Just like any other bathtub material, acrylic has pros and cons. You should analyze the material in detail to make sure that the tub can meet your needs.
Pros of Freestanding Acrylic Tubs
Acrylic is a versatile material that can be molded into a wide variety of shapes. A freestanding acrylic tub can provide you with a lot of benefits and take your bath experience to the next level.
1. Appearance. A freestanding acrylic tub would become a beautiful addition to any bathroom. The tub really has an impressive look and complements your bathroom design.
2. Affordability. That is probably one of the most important factors that make freestanding acrylic tubs so popular. Acrylic is less expensive in comparison with the other bathtub materials. However, it’s still more expensive than fiberglass material.
3. Lightweight. Acrylic is a lightweight material. That’s why, you can install a freestanding acrylic tub on the second floor without hesitation.
4. Versatility. Acrylic tubs come in different shapes, sizes and colors. You can choose a freestanding acrylic tub that will reflect your personal style and become a focal point in your bathroom.
5. Heat Retention. Acrylic is a non-porous material that retains heat well enough. A freestanding acrylic tub can provide you with unforgettable bath experience keeping the water warm for a long time.
6. Resistance to chipping and cracking. The tub has a smooth surface pleasant to the touch. If maintained properly, it can last for many years preserving its shiny look.
The tub is resistant to cracking and chipping. But even if the damage occurs, it can be easily repaired.
7. Ease of maintenance. There is no need to spend too much time and effort to keep your freestanding acrylic tub beautiful and sparkling. With some homemade cleaning solutions the tub will always look perfect.
8. Placement. Freestanding tubs provide you with a unique opportunity to use your bathroom space in a more creative way. You can put the tub anywhere you want, even in the middle of the bathroom under a stunning skylight. Imagine only how much pleasure you can get soaking in warm water and enjoying the magical beauty of stars.
Cons of Freestanding Acrylic Tubs
As you already know, freestanding acrylic bathtubs have so many fantastic benefits to offer. However, they still have some drawbacks you should know about before making the final choice.
1. Prone to discoloration. The bathtubs made from acrylic are prone to staining and discoloration. If not cleaned regularly, yellow stains may appear on the surface of your tub. Even the whole tub can turn yellow. But with proper cleaning and maintenance, this unpleasant situation can be avoided.
2. Prone to scratching. Acrylic is a soft and delicate material. It can be scratched easily. You should be really careful when cleaning your freestanding bathtub. Avoid using harsh chemicals to prevent damaging of the tub.
3. Size. The size of a freestanding acrylic tub can be an advantage and disadvantage at the same time. These tubs are usually larger than the other bathtubs. You may find it difficult to get the tub into your home and your bathroom.
Choosing a Freestanding Bathtub Style
Freestanding acrylic bathtubs come in a wide range of styles. No doubt, you can choose the tub according to your personal preferences. So, what options do you have?
1. Slipper. This freestanding tub has one raised backrest for additional comfort. A double slipper has both ends elevated.
2. Pedestal. A pedestal freestanding tub sits on a base. These tubs are a great alternative to traditional soaking tubs.
The tubs have an elegant, sophisticated look and can become a fantastic addition to your bathroom.
3. Clawfoot. Clawfoot tubs provide a timeless look. They are truly majestic. The bathtubs have 4 feet that impress with their unusual style. With a clawfoot acrylic tub, you can turn your bathroom into a peaceful oasis ideal for rest and relaxation.
It’s worth mentioning that the vast majority of freestanding bathtubs do not fit the above-mentioned categories. You can find rectangular, oval and even round freestanding acrylic bathtubs.
The Size and Weight of a Freestanding Acrylic Bathtub
When planning a bathroom renovation, the size of your new tub is one of the most essential parameters to consider. Knowing the dimensions of the tub beforehand will help you understand whether it fits your space and can provide you with the desired level of comfort. The average dimensions of a freestanding tub are 60 inches in length, 30 inches in width and 19 inches in depth.
If you have limited space in your bathroom, you can prefer smaller freestanding baths with the length starting at 51 inches. The width of these tubs is about 27 inches and the depth is 15-17 inches. Keep in mind that clawfoot tubs are shallower in comparison with the other freestanding tubs.
To add even more luxury and drama to your bathroom, think about getting a larger freestanding bathtub that can offer the utmost satisfaction and relaxation. The length of large soaking tubs begins at 72 inches, the width is 32 inches and the depth is about 20 inches. This tub can turn your bathroom into a spa providing the most fascinating experience.
The weight of your freestanding tub is another major factor to think of. Freestanding tubs are usually much bigger and heavier than built-in tubs. Freestanding tubs made of cast iron, copper and natural stone may even require a reinforced floor. When empty, cast iron tubs can weigh about 350-500 pounds. Copper tubs can also be heavy enough. Freestanding acrylic tubs are one of the most lightweight options. You can find the tubs that weigh less than 150 pounds.
Installing a Freestanding Acrylic Bathtub
One of the biggest advantages a freestanding tub provides is that you can put it almost anywhere in your bathroom. Just make sure that you leave enough space around the tub to be able to clean it properly. You should also have some empty space if you want to install a cabinet to store bathing items and a freestanding tub faucet.
Some homeowners wonder whether their freestanding tub has to be fixed to the floor. In most cases, it is not required. The tubs are heavy enough to be stable on the floor. However, freestanding acrylic tubs are lightweight. If you feel that the tub is moving when you get into and out of it, you can fix it to the floor. You can use silicone sealant to make the tub stable. But if you are not quite sure what to do, consult a professional.
Getting the Best Faucet for Your Tub
The faucet you add to your freestanding bathtub is an extremely important detail that should not be neglected. In order to choose the ideal faucet, you should know the dimensions of your tub and its design.
You can select the faucet according to your personal preferences. However, you should get acquainted with the technical information on the faucet you want to buy to make sure that it really fits your bathtub. When it comes to choosing a faucet for your freestanding tub, you have three options available. Let’s see what those options are.
1. Freestanding Faucet. As the name suggests, this faucet stands on the floor next to your bathtub. It has a unique and sophisticated look adding more style and romance to your bathroom. Keep in mind that a freestanding faucet requires some additional space to be installed.
2. Deck Mount Faucet. If saving space is crucial for you, consider getting a deck mounted faucet. This faucet is usually installed at the center of your bathtub rim. Just make sure that your tub allows doing that.
3. Wall Mount Faucet. If you cannot put a deck mounted faucet on your tub, but still want to save some space, consider getting a wall-mounted faucet. As you have probably guessed, this faucet is built into the wall. It is a great choice in case you install your freestanding acrylic tub next to the wall. Otherwise, you have to consider some other option.
Adding a Shower to a Freestanding Acrylic Tub
When it comes to combining a bathtub with a shower, a freestanding tub is not the best option. However, you can put a shower over your tub if you really want to. If your freestanding tub is put next to the wall, you can easily install the shower head and the other components on that wall. But if your freestanding acrylic tub is placed in the middle of the bathroom, the shower installation process can be more difficult. If that is the case, the shower has to be installed on the bathtub itself and not the wall. Plus, there may be some plumbing issues to consider as well. To install a shower, you will need a support rod, shower riser, shower head and a shower curtain. With a shower curtain or a screen you can be sure that the floor around your tub remains dry. You can remove the curtain when you don’t need it. So, your gorgeous freestanding tub will remain the focal point in the bathroom.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Cleaning your freestanding tub largely depends on the material it is made of. Obviously, each material requires different cleaning methods. Acrylic is one of the easiest materials to clean and maintain. You do not have to buy some special cleaners to keep your tub beautiful and shiny. It would be enough to use household products such as vinegar, baking soda and dishwashing liquid.
To remove mild stains from the surface of the tub, use vinegar and baking soda. Sprinkle baking soda on the stains. Then add some vinegar with water. Leave the solution for several minutes. After that, scrub the surface with a soft sponge and rinse the tub thoroughly. Lemon juice can also be effective when you need to remove mild stains. Tough stains can be removed with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. You should make a cleaning paste by mixing the two products. Put the paste on the stains and let it work for approximately an hour. Use borax and water to get rid of rust marks. Dish soap is another gentle solution that can remove dirt from the surface of your freestanding acrylic tub. Clean your tub on a regular basis to preserve its stunning look.
Freestanding tubs have been designed for pleasure and comfort. Make yourself happier with a freestanding acrylic tub. Experience new feelings and plunge into the atmosphere of deep relaxation.
Shopping Guide: How to choose your freestanding tub